HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!!
What are you doing?
ENJOY THE WEEKEND and the happenings around the southeast!
HAVE A GOOD TIME!
This is a good time of the year to get out if you love jazz, good music from around the world or just want to see what or who is new on the scene.
ERIC ESSIX JAZZ ESCAPE – This is the weekend that we all have been anticipating. I have been talking about this event for weeks – the first Eric Essix Jazz Escape at Renaissance Ross Bridge, Friday through Sunday. Go to jazzescape.com for more. Tell them you read about it in People, Places and Things by Gwen DeRu and had to make your way there to enjoy the fun, the music and the great food in a resort atmosphere.
PHENOMENAL WOMEN’S SUMMIT 2014 – Historical leader, groundbreaker and the first female bishop in the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, Teresa E. Snorton will present the third annual Phenomenal Women’s Summit in Birmingham this weekend at the Birmingham Jefferson County Convention Center. The Summit will address the needs and concerns of women of all ages, including a special schedule for high school and college women, “Putting The Pieces Together”. Ladies, plan to attend a weekend of enriching plenary sessions, spiritual enrichments, entertainment and more. For more information or to register, call 205-929-1153.
CHESS TOURNAMENT – The Central Alabama Team Scholastic (CATS) Chess tournament will be held at Samford University in Birmingham September 6th. The National Chess Day Scholastic (NCDS) chess tournament will be held at Brookwood Village Mall in Birmingham on October 11th.
HISPANIC BUSINESS COUNCIL LUNCHEON – The Birmingham Business Alliance’s Hispanic Business Council will host Roberto Clemente Jr. – sports broadcaster and son of baseball legend Roberto Clemente – at its annual luncheon, presented by Rivera Communications, on September 12 at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex East Ballroom.
Clemente is a sportscaster, former baseball player and son of Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente, who was legendary for his humanitarian efforts around the world that are being continued today – 42 years after his death – by his son and wife Vera. Clemente will share with the Birmingham crowd his message of “Legend, Legacy and Leadership,” not only in the growing Hispanic community, but worldwide. Registration begins at 11:30 a.m.; Program begins at noon; Friday, September 12 at the BJCC East Ballroom, downtown.
- FOR ART LOVERS….ROJO from the Paul R. Jones Collection of American Art is showing now until October 3 at the Paul R. Jones Gallery, 2308 Sixth Street in Tuscaloosa. Call (205) 345-3038 for more.
- FOR OUTDOOR LOVERS…SATURDAY, 9 a.m., Southeastern Outings Relaxing Canoe and Kayak Trip on the Lower Stretch of the Tallapoosa River near Wadley, Alabama with optional dinner afterwards. The section we will paddle is relatively easy with no classified rapids. This is a scenic stretch of river located in a very rural area. Novice canoeists are welcome and may come on this trip, but each one must be partnered with an experienced canoeist in their canoe. You may rent canoes or one person sit-upon plastic kayaks and paddles at the put in from Tallapoosa Wilds, call the outfitter BEFORE August 30 at 256/395-9505 to reserve your boat. Tell the outfitter you are boating with Southeastern Outings. After the canoe and kayak trip if interested plan to go to a restaurant for dinner. Showers and changing rooms are available at the outfitter. If you would like to shower and have dinner with us at the restaurant after the canoe trip, please bring a change of clothes and your shower things. Depart 9 a.m. from the Leeds Highway 78 gravel parking lot. Reservations Required: Contact David Shepherd, preferably via email at email@example.com or 205/240-4681 if you plan to come on this kayak and canoe trip.
FOR MUSIC LOVERS….and COMEDY…
- COMEDY FOR THE GROWN AND SEXY – It’s time to laugh so Save the Date of September 19 for Thursday Nite Comedy Open Mic hosted by CHARLES WINSTON. Inviting all comedians! Doors open at 4 p.m. with 7 p.m. showtime at the Tide and Tiger Lounge, 409 Graymont Avenue. Call (205) 862-4723 for more.
- CLASSIC COMEDY SHOW – THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY starring Comedian DENO POSEY, Comedian GORDON QUINNEY, and Birmingham Funniest Comedian SIR WALT, October 23 at Crescendo. Doors open at 6 p.m., showtime is 8 p.m. and a buffet from 7 – 8 p.m. while it lasts. The After Party is with DJ Mac Taylor.
- COMEDIANS INTERESTED IN BEING DISCOVERED….AND SEEN….Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and also email@example.com.
- THIS WEEKEND… Or coming soon….
Don’t miss any of the LAUGHTER AT THE STARDOME COMEDY CLUB… TONIGHT….
Don’t miss BRUCE BRUCE this weekend… Don’t miss this show! Bruce Bruce is a name synonymous with keeping audiences rolling with laughter thanks to his captivating improv skills. Bruce’s larger than life comedic style has been showcased across the country. His wit, spontaneity and dazzling personality sets him apart from other standup comedians. Although Bruce is known for his adult comedy, he prides himself on not using vulgarity to win a laugh. He is well known to audiences from his two-year stint of the host of BET’s “Comic View” as well as the host of BET’s “Coming to the Stage.” Bruce can currently be seen as “Big Shug” in the Lionsgate feature film ” Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector”, starring along side comedian Larry the Cable Guy.
- MORE LAUGHTER… September 2-14 – DOUG T. HYPNOTIST, September 5 – CAMERON ESPOSITO, September 16 – MARY LYNN RAJSKUB (ONE NIGHT ONLY), September 18-21 – APRIL MACIE, and September 26-28, October 3-5 – GARY OWEN, October 7-12 – MIDNIGHT SWINGER, and October 14-19 – QUINN DAHLE. Tell Bruce that Gwen sent you!! Call (205) 444-0008 for more. Tell them Gwen sent you!
**THE STEVE ROBERTS QUARTET w/ ASHLEY ROBERTS, 8:30 p.m. at Ona’s Music Room.
**RECESS FRIDAYS with music by TRANQUILITY, 5 – 8 p.m., at B.O.S.S. Ultra Bar and Lounge, 312 20th Street South.
**LITTLE MEMPHIS w/BRIAN LESS (musical conductor for Taylor Hicks Band), 9:30 p.m. at Ona’s Music Room.
**DOUG FORD, 10 – 2 p.m. at the Norwood Farmers Market.
**ENJOY THE WEATHER! AGAIN>>>>Stop by the NEW TIDE AND TIGER on Graymont Avenue across from Legion Field stadium where the grown folk hang out. Tell them Gwen sent you.
**JAZZ & BBQ with NORMAN CONNORS and THE STARSHIP ORCHESTRA with special guest PHASE 2 BAND featuring SWEET CHARLOTTE, 8 p.m. at Wellington’s Bistro.
**ONA WATSON & CHAMPAGNE w/J.C. Crumb 9:30 p.m. at Ona’s Music Room.
**TOMMY “B” AND THE FUNKY “3”, at Ona’s Music Room.
ENJOY THE WEEKEND!! I WILL!!
SEPTEMBER 5-6 – MISS VULCAN 1939, 7:30 p.m. under the stars at Vulcan Park atop Red Mountain. Take your lawn chairs and blankets.
OCTOBER 18 – RICKEY SMILEY AND FRIENDS will perform at the Atlanta Civic Center in Atlanta, Ga., 8 p.m.
NOW…. a BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT FOR AUGUST! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL CELEBRATING!! THIS MEANS YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL YOU BIRTHDAY BALLERS…MANY, MANY MORE HAPPY BIRTHDAYS!! ENJOY!!
Get outdoors, laugh and enjoy the time with family and friends! Check out our ‘What’s Happening Travel and Tourism Guide’… whenever you can.
Well, that’s it. Tell you more ‘next’ time.
(People, Places and Things by Gwen DeRu is a weekly column. Send comments to my emails: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)