During the Birmingham City Council meeting on December 16, 2014 Council:
Approved an Ordinance “TO FURTHER AMEND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF BIRMINGHAM” (Case No. ZAC2014-00016) to change zone district boundaries from R-3, Single Family District to R-5, Multiple Dwelling District, filed by Clarence Ball, Jr., representing the owner, Baptist Health Systems, Inc., for properties located at 701, 705, 709, 713, 717, 721, 725, 729, 735 and 737 Cotton Avenue and at 812 7th Street S.W.; and situated in the SW ¼ of Section 3, Township 18-S, Range 3-West, and the hearing of all interested parties. [Second Reading] For more information please contact the Office of Council President Pro Tempore Jay Roberson at 205.254.2418.
Other items approved by the Council at today’s meeting include the following:
1. Approved an Ordinance “TO FURTHER AMEND THE GRANTS FUND BUDGET” for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, by appropriating $55,176.00 to Municipal Court, Court Referral Officer (CRO) Grant per grant award. For more information please contact the Office of the Mayor at 205.254.2771.
2. Approved a resolution authorizing the Mayor to execute a Utility Agreement with the State of Alabama Department of Transportation for Project No. STPBH-7173 Reference No. 100059888 Finley Boulevard Extension from 26th Street (US-31) to SR-79 in the vicinity of East Lake Boulevard in the City of Birmingham. For more information please contact the Office of the Mayor at 205.254.2771.
3. Approved an Ordinance “TO FURTHER AMEND THE GENERAL FUND BUDGET” for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, by transferring $22,500.00 from Non Departmental, Animal Control and appropriating $22,500.00 to Public Works for $22,500.00 to Public Works for expense related to Animal Control. For more information please contact the Office of the Mayor at 205.254.2771.
4. Approved a Resolution authorizing the Mayor to execute a Redevelopment Agreement with Clint Simpson, Jr. and Derek Simpson d/b/a New Breed Barber and Style Shop under which Clint Simpson, Jr. and Derek Simpson will purchase City owned property located at 1713 4th Avenue North, a vacant building formerly used as a police substation, at a redevelopment use value of $52,500.00 and will relocate and expand their business, which is currently located at 216 18th Street North, Birmingham. For more information please contact the Office of the Mayor at 205.254.2771.
Announcements and Reminders
1. Councilor Kim Rafferty, along with Fresh Air Family, is excited to announce the fourth annual Wacky Tacky Christmas Light Tour, scheduled for Tuesday December 16, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the Avondale Brewing Company. Proceeds will go to scholarships for students in our award-winning science camp, Gross Out Camp.
2. There will be a Special Called Committee of the Whole Meeting on Wednesday December 17, 2014 at 4:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
3. There are two vacancies on the City of Birmingham Zoning Board of Adjustments. For more information please contact the Office of Council President Pro Tempore Jay Roberson at 205.254.2418.
Are you unable to attend the Birmingham City Council meetings? Watch Council Meetings on demand. From anywhere in the world you can log on to www.birminghamalcitycouncil.org and click on the tab Watch Council Meetings; or from the comfort of your home, tune to Bright House Cable Channel 340. The Birmingham City Council meetings are free and on demand.
The City of Birmingham will make reasonable accommodations to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunity to enjoy all city services, programs and activities. If accommodations are required for public meetings, please contact Chiara Morrow, Public Information Officer, with reasonable advance notice by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 205-254-2055.