School starts Wednesday, Aug. 5, and several back-to-school rallies and giveaway school supply events are scheduled for Birmingham City Schools. Don’t see your school listed here? Call your school to see if they have something planned.
Also, if you haven’t registered your child for school yet, there’s still time. For more information about registration, www.visit bhamcityschools.org.
The following events will be open to the public.
Thursday, July 30
- School Board Member Lyord Watson Jr. will host a community meet and greet with Superintendent Dr. Kelley Castlin-Gacutan on Thursday, July 30 at Ruffner Mountain. Event starts at 6 p.m. The address is 1214 81st St. South. RSVP requested at firstname.lastname@example.org. (School supplies will not be distributed at this event, but this is an opportunity to meet the superintendent.)
Saturday, Aug. 1
- The Second Annual Lock & Learn school supply and back pack giveaway with the Joe Lockett Show on 101.1 FM WYDE will be held on Saturday, Aug. 1 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Hamburger Heaven Homewood location, 180 Oxmoor Blvd. Clear backpacks will be loaded with essential school supplies donated by area businesses.
Saturday, Aug. 8
- Phoenix Suns player Eric Bledsoe will provide free backpacks and school supplies at Railroad Park from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 8. Later that evening, he will join other NBA players and play in a basketball exhibition game at Parker High, his alma mater. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the game will start at 7 p.m. Admission is $5 at the door. The school is located at 900 Fourth St. North.
- More Than Conquerors Faith Church will present its annual R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Back-To-School Rally on Saturday, Aug. 8 at 12 p.m. at the church, 1327 Dennison Ave. SW. School supplies, backpacks, hot dogs, sodas and chips will be provided.
The following events are for students at the listed schools.
- Arrington Middle, 2101 Jefferson Ave., will host its Bulldog Back-to-School Bash on Thursday, July 30 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Registration will take place in the school’s media center for grades sixth through eighth grade. Supply lists and food will be provided. For more info, call 231-1130.
- Arrington Middle, 2101 Jefferson Ave., will host its sixth grade orientation on Sunday, Aug. 2 in the school lunchroom from 5 to 6 p.m. Birmingham City Schools Vice President Wardine Alexander, the National Forum of Black Public Administrators, Be You Academy and a host of other school community partners plan to attend.
- Bush K-8 will join Rotaract Club of Birmingham to distribute free school supplies and backpacks on Saturday, Aug. 1 from 9 – 10 a.m. Bush K-8 remains temporarily located at the old Center Street Middle School, 1832 Centerway South, because the original Bush K-8 building will undergo renovations soon. For more information about the giveaway, call the school: 231-7190.
- On Friday, Aug. 7, Bush K-8 will host “This is How We Do It at Bush K-8 School,” which will include a fashion show on how students may use their uniforms to fit casual, business and dressy occasions. Mississippi motivational speaker and life coach Theo Schaffer will encourage students to strive for excellence. Free book bags and school supplies will be available in a drawing. The event, which is from 9 to 10 a.m. in the gym, is for grades third through eighth.
Please note that Bush K-8 is temporarily located at the old Center Street Middle, 1832 Centerway South because the original Bush K-8 building will undergo renovations soon. The school is currently accepting kindergarteners, too.
- Glen Iris, 1115 11th St. South, will host a parent orientation from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 2. Parents will meet their child’s teacher, get a brief overview of the school curriculum plans and drop off supplies.
- Jackson-Olin High School, 510 12 St. Ensley, will host freshman orientation Monday, July 27 – Friday, July 31 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day. Incoming ninth graders will tour their new school, and learn about school rules, procedures and expectations. A parent meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 29. On Friday, July 31, a pep rally, service project and cookout will be held for incoming freshmen. School supply lists will be provided throughout the week. Call 231-6431 for more information.
- Martha Gaskins Elementary, 200 Dalton Drive, will host its back-to-school orientation for parents and students on Monday, Aug. 3 from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Minor Elementary, 2425 Ave. South, Ensley, will join Rotaract Club of Birmingham to distribute free school supplies and backpacks, at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1.
- Phillips Academy will host orientation on the following days:
Tuesday, July 28, sixth grade; Wednesday, July 29, seventh grade; and Thursday, July 30, eighth grade. All sessions will be held at 6 p.m.
Orientation for kindergarten through fifth grade will be held Sunday, Aug. 2. Kindergarten through second grade will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. Third through fifth grade will be held from 5 to 6 p.m. Parking is available in the adjacent, grass-covered lot on the 23rd Street North side of the building. All sessions will start in the school auditorium. Sign in will occur in the individual teacher classrooms.
- Enjoy a spaghetti dinner, learn what’s in store for the new school year at Smith Middle and get to know the PTA during the Back-To-School Dinner and AVID Parent Night at 6 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 3. Event will be held in the gym, 1124 Five Mile Road.
- Woodlawn High School will host Woodlawn Day, which will include school registration, school tours and distribution of IDs, locker assignments and schedules, on Saturday, Aug. 1. Freshmen should report between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Sophomores, juniors and seniors should report between 1 and 3 p.m. All Woodlawn students participating in Woodlawn Day will receive a free T-shirt and book bag. Refreshments will be provided. The school is located at 5620 First Ave. North.
- Wylam K-8, 701 Erie St., will join Rotaract Club of Birmingham on Saturday, Aug. 1 to distribute free school supplies and backpacks to students, starting at 9 a.m. School registration will also be available. For more information, call 231-6800. Registration will end at 12 p.m.
- The Woodlawn Innovation Network will host a back-to-school rally on Sunday, Aug. 2 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. for WIN schools, which include Putnam, Hayes, Avondale, Oliver and Woodlawn. The event will take place at Social Venture, 5529 First Ave. South. Games, food and a dunking booth will be available. Parents and students will be able to meet teachers and administrators.