The Birmingham City Council approved via consent, a resolution authorizing U.A.B. to operate a courtesy shuttle service for U.A.B. employees and students upon the streets of Birmingham, granting twelve (12) Certificates of Public Necessity and Convenience to First Transit, Inc., 1720 – 2nd Avenue South, Birmingham. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Kimberly Rafferty at 254.2348. Other items approved at today’s meeting include:
1. Delayed for one week an Ordinance amending Title 12, Chapter 14 of the General City Code 1980 to add a new chapter to establish regulations for mobile food vehicles and pushcarts in the City of Birmingham. For more information, contact the office of Council Johnathan Austin at 254.2678.
2. Approved an Ordinance authorizing the issuance by the City of Birmingham of a General Obligation Capital Improvement Bond, Series 2013-B in the original principal amount of $2,690,000.00, and authorizing the Mayor and the Director of Finance to execute the Bond and other documents required for its issuance, said Bond being issued to provide funds for capital improvements to be made to the Lyric Theatre located at 1800 Third Avenue North, the McWane Science Center located at 200 19th Street North and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute located at 520 North 16th Street. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Jay Roberson at 254.2498.
3. Placed on consent a Resolution authorizing the Mayor to execute an Amended and Restated Redevelopment Agreement with Limbaugh Motors, Inc. and BD Toy, LLC, under which the City will (i) transfer certain real property to BD Toy for a use value of $1.00, (ii) provide a grant to Limbaugh Motors in a total amount not to exceed $2,200,000.00, payable in seven annual installments, (iii) provide three annual payments to Limbaugh Motors equal to 25% of new sales tax revenue generated by the operation of the Limbaugh automobile dealership for a period of three successive fiscal years beginning on July 1, 2020, and (iv) provide assistance with rezoning, vacating, and conveying certain other real property, in consideration for Limbaugh Motors and BD Toy retaining and expanding their operations in the City. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Steven Hoyt at 254.2304.
4. Place on consent a Resolution rescheduling the public hearing to consider the revision to the Birmingham, Alabama Enterprise Zone Boundaries from November 12, 2013 to December 10, 2013. Announcements and Reminders:
1. The Planning and Zoning Committee is scheduled to meet on today, November 12, 2013, 4:00 p.m., 5th Floor Engineering Room.
2. The Budget and Finance Committee is scheduled to meet on Monday, November 18, 2013, 4:00 p.m., Conference Rooms D & E.
3. The Public Improvement Committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 4:00 p.m., in the Council Chambers.
4. Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 12:30 p.m., Conference Rooms D & E.
5. The Joint Public Safety and Technology Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 2:00 p.m., Council Chambers. 6. Councilor Johnathan Austin seeks to fill a vacancy on the Medical Clinic Board, General. Councilor Johnathan Austin, Chair of the Public Safety Committee, is accepting letters of interest and resumes. Candidates should e-mail the aforementioned information to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
For more information, call 254.2678. Are you unable to attend the Birmingham City Council meetings? Watch Council Meetings on demand. From anywhere in the world you can log on to www.birminghamalcitycouncil.org and click on the tab Watch Council Meetings; or from the comfort of your home, tune to Bright House Cable Channel 244. The Birmingham City Council meetings are free and on demand. The City of Birmingham will make reasonable accommodations to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunity to enjoy all city services, programs and activities. If accommodations are required for public meetings, please contact John Long, Senior Public Information Officer, with reasonable advance notice by emailing John.Long@birminghamal.gov, or by calling 205-254-2036.v