Times staff report
The Birmingham Board of Education on Tuesday voted 6-3 to name Lisa Herring superintendent of Birmingham City Schools.
Herring, who will be paid $202,000 annually, becomes superintendent immediately.
The board also voted to place interim superintendent Dr. Larry Contri on paid administrative leave.
The votes came during a chaotic meeting where several in the audience loudly voice frustration at the process.
Board President Wardine Alexander and board members Sandra Brown, Brian Giattina, Lyord Watson, April Williams and Randall Woodfin voted to hire Herring and place Contri on leave. Board members Sherman Collins, Jr. Cheri Gardner, and Daagye Hendricks voted against both measures.
Collins said he was concerned that the process was not transparent.
Herring most recently was Chief Academic Officer with the Jefferson County Public Schools in Kentucky.
The second finalist for the superintendent position was Regina Thompson who serves as the chief of teaching and learning for Richland County School District One in Blythewood, S.C.
Dr. Lisa N. Herring, Louisville, Kentucky
Most Recent Position:
Chief Academic Officer
Jefferson County Public Schools, Kentucky
- Chief Academic Officer, Jefferson County Public Schools, Kentucky, 2016–Present
- Deputy Superintendent for Academics, Charleston County School District, South Carolina, 2014–2016
- Chief Academic Officer, Charleston County School District, 2012–2014
- Associate Superintendent for Instructional Support, Charleston County School District, 2011–2012
- Executive Director for Student Support Services, Charleston County School District, 2009–2011
- Director for Student Support Services, Bibb County School District, Georgia, 2006–2009
- Assistant Director of Student Services, DeKalb County School District, Georgia, 2004–2006
- Doctorate, Georgia Southern University, Educational Administration
- Educational Specialist, University of South Carolina, Counselor Education
- Master’s, University of South Carolina, School Counseling
- Bachelor’s, Spelman College, English/Education