In one scam, customers visiting online chat rooms are encountering individuals posing as employees of companies they say will help disadvantaged families pay bills. The scammers offer to help family and friends in need and use the ploy to obtain valuable information on potential targets.
In another scam, Alabama Power customers reported receiving visits from individuals posing as members of the clergy. The scammers say they have been sent to assist people with their bills. The scammers request account numbers and other personal information and promise to pay off outstanding bills in exchange for a “money pack” card, which is a disposable debit card that is untraceable. They may even urge customers to call Alabama Power to reassure them a payment was recorded. While the system may show that a payment is pending, it has not actually been processed and received by Alabama Power.
Alabama Power urges customers to be aware of these types of scams. Customers should be alert to anyone offering to make any payments for a reduced amount, even if referred by a friend or relative.
If someone calls claiming to be with Alabama Power, politely hang up and call our toll-free customer service line at 800-245-2244, where you can be assured you are talking with the right people.
Alabama Power is working with law enforcement to investigate the recent scams. If you have been contacted by a possible scammer, or if you have additional information about these scams, please contact your local law enforcement agency.
– More –
Alabama Power says beware of creative scams
Alabama Power wants you to be assured about how we do business in order to protect all our customers:
* We will never come to your door and demand an immediate payment
* We will never call and ask you for bank information or a credit card number
* Any Alabama Power employee who comes to your door for any reason will have company identification that he or she will gladly show you. If you have any questions about whether a person truly works for Alabama Power, call 1-800-245-2244 and do not let the individual come inside your home.
* As noted, scammers sometimes claim they represent a nonprofit organization, public agency or government office that is offering grants that can assist you with utility bills. Never provide anyone making this claim your credit card information, your Alabama Power bill information or account number, or any personal banking information. If someone makes this claim, call Alabama Power or your local police department to report it.
* If you ever have any question about the status of your Alabama Power account, do not hesitate to call us. You can reach Alabama Power Customer Service day or night, seven days a week, at 1-800-245-2244.
* Commercial customers with questions should contact our Business Service Center at 1-888-430-5787.
Alabama Power, a subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), provides reliable, affordable electricity to more than 1.4 million customers across the state.