BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM) is expecting holiday travel to begin on Wednesday, November 27th and extend through Sunday, December 1st.
During the travel holiday passengers are reminded to plan ahead and arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes to two hours prior to their flight for check-in and screening. Before coming to the airport, passengers should check flight status at www.flybirmingham.com or with their air carrier for the latest information. A list of travel tips from TSA can be accessed at www.tsa.gov.
For passengers who are visiting BHM for the first time this year, they can expect to be dazzled with the many enhancements as a result of the completion of BHM’s Terminal Modernization Project Phase I.
Here are a few of the features passengers can expect when traveling through BHM:
· New departure level crosswalks to the terminal in section A and B of the parking deck.
· All ticketing, curbside and counter check-in is located on the upper level of the terminal.
· Passengers are screened at one centralized security checkpoint and can flow from concourse to concourse without exiting the secure area.
· New food and retail concessions for passengers to enjoy.
· All arriving passengers exit the concourses onto the lower level of the terminal near baggage claim.
· All BHM air carriers operate from one baggage claim.
· The rental car facility is conveniently located in the parking deck section 1B within walking distance of the terminal.
· Ground transportation: shuttles, taxis, buses, and limos pick up is located on the ground level outside of baggage claim.
· Airport Operation personnel are available in the deck to help you get back on the road, if you can’t remember where you parked or if your car won’t start contact airport operations at 599-0519.
New amenities at BHM include:
· Kid zones located on Concourse A and Concourse B.
· Nursing suites for breastfeeding mothers on Concourse B.
· Family bathrooms located throughout the terminal equipped with changing tables and commodes sized for younger travelers.
· Passengers are on the go therefore BHM has installed charging stations throughout the terminal gate areas.
· Digital maps and flight information boards to ease passenger transition from concourse to concourse.
For more tips on traveling this holiday season please visit www.flybirmingham.com.