IT’S SUMMERTIME!!, What are you doing? ENJOY THE WEEKEND and the happenings around the southeast!
This is a good weekend to get out if you love jazz, good music from around the world or just want to see what or who is new on the scene.
- ESTELLE WITHERSPOON LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD DINNER – The Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance 47th Anniversary Celebration is today, at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. The Honoree is Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton and the Chairperson is Congresswoman Terri Sewell. The Honoree’s Reception is 5:30 p.m. at the Civil Rights Institute and the Dinner is 7 p.m. at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. The Honorable Eleanor Holmes Norton is serving her twelfth term as Congresswoman for the District of Columbia and is the Ranking Member of the House Subcommittee on Highways and Transit. She serves on two committees: the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure. An ardent supporter of statehood for the District of Columbia, Ms. Norton is an extraordinary leader who has insisted that government and society respect human rights. Norton is a regular panelist on the PBS women’s news program To the Contrary.
- BAAM FEST – Birmingham Arts and Music Festival (BAAMFEST) is a weekend-long festival celebrating Birmingham’s rich music and cultural arts scene. Look for DENITA GIBBS 4- 4:45 p.m. Sunday at the Avondale Park and GABRIEL TAJEAU at 5 p.m. on Sunday. BAAMFEST will take place in AVONDALE Park and Avondale Business District including Avondale Brewery, Bottletree and Parkside. The purpose of the event is to attract broader national and international music industry interests to Birmingham based musicians, artists and poets. This festival will elevate the public’s awareness of Birmingham’s burgeoning cultural arts community, all the while generating revenue for existing hotels, restaurants and museums. BAAMFEST offers an opportunity to celebrate Birmingham’s rich history and cultural diversity. HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE: World’s Longest Soul Train Line on Friday, 5-8 p.m. Tribute to Muscle Shoals featuring BAD BRAD and THE SIPSEY SLIMS with special guests DAVID HOOD, KELVIN HOLLEY AND WIL McFARLANE, Friday, 7–11 p.m. at the Avondale Brewery. The Birmingham Celebrity Jeopardy is scheduled for Sunday 6-7 p.m. Celebrate with all the international, national and local artists.
- JAZZ ON THE PORCH – Enjoy the great weather and jazz by the GOOD FELLAS in the garden at Rucker Place, TODAY, 5 -8 p.m. with the Best Burgers in town, now through October on the First Thursday of each month. Tell them Gwen sent you.
- ROLL BOUNCE ADULT SKATE NIGHT – It’s 98.7 FM’s ROLL BOUNCE ADULT SKATE NIGHT, Sunday at the Funtime Skate Çenter in Fultondale. 98.7 KISS FM is giving away $100 Visa Card to the best dancer on skates. Others can register to win Universoul Circus tickets. Don’t miss the party…Every First and Third Sunday. BE THERE!
- NATURAL TREASURES CHALLENGE – Experiencing nature is closer and easier than you think! If you’re a resident of Alabama, Ohio or Indiana you’re invited to compete in our Natural Treasures Challenge for a chance to win a Honda Civic Hybrid. Participating is easy. Simply take a photo of yourself at a designated Natural Treasures location, and share it on our website for a chance to win. Accepting entries now, you can start exploring now just log on to http://www.Nature.org/NaturalTreasures
By: Gwen Deru