Special to The Times
In 2013, Cooper Green Mercy Health Services (CGMHS) began operating as a full-service ambulatory care facility that includes both primary and specialty care, as well as urgent care, laboratory services, radiology, a pharmacy, and other services—all in a single location. In addition, there is an onsite pharmacy, a podiatrist, and an eye clinic.
“The only services we don’t provide are transplants,” said Roger McCullough, chief executive officer of Cooper Green. “Any other medical services anyone needs, they have it when they walk in the door.”
Cooper Green is “one of few indigent facilities that are affiliated with a world-class academic medical center,” he added. “If the very poorest person in Jefferson County walks through the door, they have access to full range of comprehensive services.”
Cooper Green has a partnership with the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) that is second to none, McCullough said.
“Through our partnership with UAB, we try to manage the best, high-quality primary care to keep patients from needing the more expensive specialties,” he said.
According to McCullough, 65 percent of the clinic’s population is considered indigent; the other 35 percent have Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross Blue Shield, or other insurance coverage. Currently, 15 primary care providers and 30 specialists work with CGMHS, mainly on a part-time basis.
Cooper Green Mercy Health Services serves the residents of Jefferson County with high quality health care without regard to ability to pay.
- Primary Care
- Specialty Care
- Urgent Care
- Behavioral Health
- Chronic Disease Management
- Diabetes Management
- Nutrition and Weight Management
- On-Site and Community Education
- Health Fair Participation
The Primary Care Clinic is one of many outpatient services provided through Cooper Green Mercy Health Services. It is the entry point into the healthcare system offered by the Jefferson County Commission. With health and wellness in mind, Primary Care offers preventive medicine services such as physical exams, vaccinations, nutrition education, back injury prevention and safety guidelines and TB skin testing.
The Primary Care Clinic’s hours of operation are 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday by appointment only. Primary Care services available in Ambulatory Care include:
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Diabetes (Endocrinology)
- Infectious Disease
Primary Care Appointments
All clinic patients are seen by appointment only. Primary Care and GYN appointments must be made through the appointment center or in the clinic at the time of service for the next appointment in that clinic. To make an appointment or if there are questions about upcoming appointments please call 205-930-3350.
Medical Home and Primary Care
The Medical Home provides care to patients that require the following services:
- Primary Care
- Women’s Health Screenings
Clinic B: Non Invasive Specialty Care
Non-invasive specialty care provides patients with quality and experienced OPHTHALMOLIGIC (Eye), Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT), and Dermatological (Skin) Care.
The services that are offered by the Ophthalmalology Clinic include:
- Routine Eye Exam
- Cataract Surgery
- Laser Surgery
The services that are offered by the ENT Clinic include treatment for:
- Sinus Problems
- Hearing Loss
The services that are offered by the Dermatology Clinic include treatment for:
- Skin Rash Dermatitis
- Skin Cancer
- Minor office procedures
Clinic D: Surgery and Surgical Specialties
Surgical Specialties available in Cooper Green Mercy Health Services’ ambulatory facilities include:
- General Surgery – Includes assessment for the need for surgery, pre and post surgery follow-up care
- Neurology – Evaluations are completed for diseases of the nervous system
- Orthopedics -Evaluations, casting and splinting are available and referrals for surgery are made
- Nephrology – Evaluates and provides follow-up care for patients with renal (Kidney) disorders
- Urology – Evaluation, treatment & diagnostic procedures are provided for disorders and care of the urinary tract and genitals
- Rheumatology – Diagnostic tests and therapeutic procedures for diseases that affect joints, soft tissues and conditions of connective tissues are performed
- Podiatry – Evaluation and care of the foot is offered
Clinic E: Oncology and Hematology
Cooper Green Mercy Health Services provides treatment for Oncology and Hepatitis:
Hematology / Oncology
- Chemotherapy and Monoclonal Antibodies using the newest agents available are provided
- Infusion of blood products and other intravenous medications are offered onsite
- Radiation therapy is given at nearby institutions
- Provides vaccines along with educational information and literature regarding the liver and Hepatitis
- Assessment of complaints are addressed and labs are monitored
- Symptom Management provides educational information
- ABG’s, lab work and Chest X-rays used to assess conditions
- As appropriate medications are administered
- Respiratory teaching is provided to assist in improving patients breathing function
Whether the patients is recovering from joint replacement surgery, an illness, or injury, rehabilitation care may be essential in helping to achieve the best possible health. It also is used to help patients manage physical challenges that arise from chronic conditions, helping them prevent injuries.
Cooper Green Mercy Health Services offers quality Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Pathology. Staff is able to treat the needs of patients of all ages. A team of physicians provide high level, hands-on clinical expertise, in outpatient setting. The goal is to increase and improve the independence and safety of patients’ functional mobility, activities of daily living, and assist healing of the above deficits.
Services are available Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm for outpatients. Your healthcare provider or physician typically refers you for rehabilitation.
Physical Therapy Services
Physical Therapy is a profession which develops, coordinates and utilizes select knowledge and skills in planning, organizing and implementing programs for the care of individuals whose ability to function is impaired or threatened by disease or injury. Physical Therapy’s primary focus is on those individuals with neuro-muscular, skeletal, pulmonary and cardiovascular disorders and evaluating the level of function related to these disorders. This leads to the selection and implementation of appropriate therapeutic procedures to maintain, improve or restore these functions.
Physical therapy programs include the examination and treatment of patients for the following conditions:
Adult Neurological Rehabilitation, including:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophies
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain Tumor
- Oncologic Diagnoses with Neurological Presentation
- Peripheral Neuropathies
- Vestibular Disorders
- Fall Prevention/Risk Assessment
- Upper and Lower Extremity Orthotic /Prosthetic Assessment
- Prosthetic Training
- Biomechanical Alignment Evaluation
- Wheelchair (manual and power) Evaluation/Recommendation
- Assistive Device Recommendation/Trials
- Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation
General Orthopedic Rehabilitation, including:
- Fractured Hip
- Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacement
- Shoulder Injuries/Repairs
- Foot Conditions
Spine Rehabilitation, including:
- Acute Neck and Back Injury Management
- Pre and Post Operative Care and Conservative Management
- Progressive Return to Functional
- Evaluation and Treatment of Chronic Complex Pain Conditions
- Musculoskeletal Chronic Pain Management